25 February 2012

Fat Tuesday- The Celebration

Fat Tuesday rolled around and Madgalena invited me out to her house to celebrate. And, did we celebrate! This is my kind of event.

Julie´s host family lives out in Datanli, a small city (really, a small road out in the campo) located  30 minute bus ride out of town, and a 2km walk from the highway. Magdelena is Julie´s host mom. She is really a wonderful woman.


This tuesday, a pretty important part of the year for Catholics, she taught us how to make "buñuelos." These are basically corn, cheese dough balls, deep fried and dunked in cinnamon and sugar. YUMMM!


Magdelena showing us the ropes.


Cutting up "dulce," or a big cube of cane sugar. This will be the syrup we put the buñuelos in.

Julie breaking up a pound of cheese. This gets mixed in with 2lbs of cornmeal, "maseca," 2 eggs and a bit of water.

Nathan, a local Ag volunteer, watching the work being done. I know he´s waiting around for the final project.

Julie, Magdelena, Oliver (her son) and myself making the dough balls.


Getting ready to deep fry the buñuelos.



Dumping them in sugar and cinnamon.

Oliver eating up our hard work.



SO WORTH IT! 

4 comments:

  1. This is great blog you have here. I just become aware of your blog through google,nice site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could tell that we’re on the same interest and obsession. Good to know someone I could share my ideas. Looking forward to know and learn some more from you. . I make fun of been wonder wide this an eye to some beat now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am one of the visitors of your site. I hope you will show more such material or data to put in our use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I really like the fresh perpective you did on the issue. Really was not expecting that when I started off studying. Thanks for sharing and keep up.

    ReplyDelete