25 August 2011

Just a little bit of bragging. . .

I love my work. 
 
I love it even more when I feel like I am doing something not just good for me, but something good for the people around me- good for Nicaraguans. 
At the end of last year I found out a bit of sad news. One of the young girls I worked with was not eligible to apply for a special scholarship to the States. She was bright. She graduated high school with perfect grades. The only thing was she had no money to pay for college. (While her mother had a job, it paid for running water in the house, food, clothes and maintenance of their tin roof and dirt floor.) We thought a scholarship to the US would be the perfect thing, until it wasn´t an option anymore.
Then, in January I got a call from Georgetown. They had read her application along with a note from aPeace Corps Volunteer from Nicaragua, me. Her application was back on the table.


Eight months later she moved to America.


Why am I bragging? She wrote to me from the US today. She said thank you for everything I had given her. On Monday she starts her first classes- Algebra, English and Informatics. She is living with an American family that doesn´t speak Spanish, but they already treat her like a daughter. I helped her get there. I am proud of her. I am proud of myself.



 
YEAH!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Way to go Lauren. You have made a difference, a huge difference in this young lady's life. And she will make a difference, too.
    Congrats to you and to her.
    -April Ober/Portland

    ReplyDelete