10 July 2011

Daina´s Despedida

I have been very lucky in Peace Corps. I live in a small department capital, there is running water in my house, the city has electricity (luz) and I have pretty regular access to internet. All of this said, the most amazing part of my site is Daina.

Daina, a small business volunteer, has been in Jinotega for the last two years.  I see her at least once a week. When I have health fairs she comes to support me. When she has business competitions I go to support her. Last year we started a girls club together. We meet with them every week. It has been one of the best parts of my service. 


A few days ago we had a going way away party, una despedida, for Daina at Círculo de Amigas with our girls group. There was crying involved, small girls with flowers, letters and pin the tail on the donkey.



I´ll miss my site mate. But, she has left me with a wonderful group of girls. I could not have asked for more.

1 comment:

  1. o my gosh, i just saw this for the first time, and now i'm at work at my desk trying not to cry but not doing a good job. Love you and am so proud of all the work your still doing in jinotega. i miss it all a lot.

    ReplyDelete