18 May 2011

World Wise Schools and Jump Ropes . . . Awesome




So, for the past year or so I have been writing to a class in Duluth Minnesota. We were connected through a program called World Wise Schools. Every couple of weeks I write to them about what I´m up to. I write about what my house looks like, cultural differences between the US and Nicaragua, how this one pesky cat crawls into my house at night between my walls and ceiling and scares the you know what out of me. And, this class always writes back- in Spanish. You see, they are a high school intermediate Spanish class. It is pretty awesome.


Anyway, I thought I´d share the last letter I wrote. You can check my grammer!





For those of you who don´t speak semi-campo Spanish I wrote about an activity I did with my youth group.


A new type of environmental clean-up we are promoting as Peace Corps is using trash to construct buildings. The class in Duluth has been reading about this process. They have learned all about Guatemalan PCVs who have basically built walls out of plastic soda bottles filled with other non-degradable trash. This has become a popular project among PCVs and small communities interested in cleaning up their towns.


Although I didn´t build a super cool community house using trash from the streets I did teach my youth group a cool way to help the environment. We learned how to collect used trash bags from neighborhood roads and make them into jump ropes.




No comments:

Post a Comment