09 March 2011

International Women´s Day! March 8th.

I have been a Girl Scout of America since, well forever. When my family moved to Saudi Arabia in 1991 I jumped or was more thrown into Daisies. And, I´m sure you can guess, my mother was my leader from day one.

Years later I graduated high school as a Cadette with a Silver Award and was well on my way to planning my Gold Award project. Needless to say I believe Girl Scouts helped me become a strong independent woman ready to take on the world.

So, when I became a PCV and moved to Nicaragua I knew I wanted to start a girls group; reproduce my Girl Scout years, obviously. And that is just what I am doing!

I work with about 16 girls, 7-13 years old. We meet once a week at a local NGO, Circulo de Amigas. Every once and a while a few boys turn up. What can I say, our meetings are outrageously fun.

This week we focused our attention on International Women´s Day, March 8th. To celebrate we talked about what self-esteem is, if we have it and in what kind of quantity and how important it is to feel like a strong woman able to do anything.

Check out the pictures!







1 comment: