19 September 2010

Public Transportation in Nicaragua.

Yesterday I met up with another PCV, Cassandra, so we could travel together on our way to Robyn’s site, San Rafael. We were going to a Nica prom!

The bus we got on, a yellow school bus from Illinois that had previously lived in Honduras, was packed with people. I mean three people to a seat, people squished together in the isles, people sitting on top of the bus and Cassie and I sitting on bags of corn and rice in the far back. Typical.

We struck up a conversation with a woman (sitting on a sack of rice next to us) who had known the previous business volunteer in San Rafael. They had taught a small business class together in a local high school. This woman was great.

The man standing above me thought he wanted in on the conversation too. Soon enough we found out he was a Policeman from Managua on vacation visiting his family in San Rafael. He was pleasant enough. In fact, maybe even a little entertaining.

And then . . .

He pulled out his phone and took a picture of me! It didn’t even seem real. Really, did you just do that?

So I said, “did you just take a picture of me? What are you going to do with it?”

He says, “people here in Nicaragua are the most reliable, safe and friendly. We never have problems. Nicaragua is safer then Guatemala.”

“OK, so what are you going to do with that picture?”

No response.

“Give me your phone; I’m going to delete it."

Hesitantly he handed me his phone. I deleted the awkward picture of me, sitting on a bag of rice talking to the woman across from me. Then, I gave ut back to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment