15 August 2010

Los Pipitos- Thrusday mornings. . .

I’ve already written about Los Pipitos. But, a little refresher is in order because now I have pictures!

On Thursday mornings I help facilitate a class in Los Pipitos. Los Pipitos is a Nicaraguan NGO that works with disabled youth and builds centers in all the departments to meet their needs. They generally are run by volunteers (mostly mothers). They have speech therapy classes, sign classes, youth groups and support groups. Anyway, I help teach a class on autovalidismo, something like a ‘how to function on your own’ class.


We open each morning asking our students, ‘como estas el dia de hoy?’ and wait. They each take their turn, go up to a box on the ground and pull out a face depicting how they feel.


This is Lenin, a young man with Downs Syndrome illustrating our morning activity. Although he does not talk much he is becoming fairly adept at signing simple phrases. Our favorite is, ‘a mi me gusta bailar,’ me, I like to dance. When ever either one of us signs it we inevitably end up dancing around the classroom. Wonderful if I do say so myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment