22 May 2010

Rain Rain Go Away . . . and take the toads with you.






So it has been raining insane amounts here in Jinotega. They say the winter season has finally begun. Apparently lasts years rainy season consisted of one week of light rain. I guess we are making up for lost time this year. With the rain comes a flooded room, toads in the house, and wonderfully fun galoshes. My counterpart in the health center gave me a pair: black plastic, twice sizes too big, and awkward. All of the health promoters in the mountains have them. In fact, I think almost every campesino I have seen in the last month has a pair. I feel fashionable.

At the moment I am sitting in the coffee shop in Jinotega, with internet. NOTE: There are only two coffee shops in town. Robyn is here from San Rafael del Norte, a small town 30 min north of Jinotega. We've been shopping for used goods for our new abodes. You might say going on a little splurge. What that really means is that I spent an entire $10 dollars. A rather large amount of money here. BUT, I now have trash bins, one small pot, a medium pan and a variety of other fun, mostly kitchen things. My home is going to be amazing. Watch out Jinotega!

Rob and I gave up shopping when the rain hit. We tried to make it safely to the coffee shop without just getting soaked. Didn't workout so well. But, thanks to a few trash bags and looking fabulous we made it. We're completely drenched, but we made it!

So here's to the rain, Peace Corps friends and shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment