09 May 2010

The list I wish I had . . .




A WARNING:


To anyone not joining the Peace Corps relatively soon . . . this could be a kind of blah blog entry. I decided to post this becuase I desprately needed something like this 5 months ago. Hope it helps.



So I have been in country for almost four months now (that’s including 11 weeks of training). I think I’ve made a fairly decent list of items I brought, and wish I had bought with me.


Clothes

  • 2 Jeans
  • Pair of khakis
  • 1 Other pair of pants
  • 2-3 Skirts

J. Crew sells a fabulous A line skirt that you can wear as a low rise skirt, waist skirt, or strapless sundress. Get it.

  • 2-3 Dresses

Maybe a few inches above the knees, but you should be conservative. Nothing spaghetti strapped unless you plan on using a cardigan.

  • Nice dress for swearing in.
  • 2-3 Button down shirts
  • 2 Crew neck shirts/ polo’s
  • 2-3 Tank tops with thick-er straps
  • 2 Cardigans
  • A sweater or two

I live in the mountains and it can get cooler at night.

  • PJ’s

Conservative. You will probably find yourself sitting with you family at night or in the morning in your pajamas.

  • 2 Sets of workout clothes
  • Underwear/ Bras (2 year supply)
  • Pair of shorts
  • Spandex pants

I know it is hot, but I love hanging out in them on the weekend during rainy season.

  • Light weight rain jacket
  • Fun cloths for the weekends, beach trips etc.
  • Swim suit
  • Bandana
  • Hat
  • Socks
  • Tennis shoes
  • Shower sandals
  • Flats
  • Trendy sandals
  • Sperry Topsiders
  • Boots

I have a pair of Frye’s and I love them. I live in the mountains and use them almost every week when I meet with local communities.

  • House shoes


People DO NOT walk barefoot in their houses here.

The deal with clothes is that you can wear anything as long as you don’t go to work in a shirt with words on it, or a tank top. I like the J. Crew look because it is a little more conservative. I like to look good but not really stand out. But to each their own. Peace Corps at staging will tell you all kinds of things about ‘dress codes’ but most people, Nicaraguans, wear jeans and polo’s to work everyday. You can too.


Toiletries and Meds

3 Months supplies (or 6 really)

  • Shampoo
  • Conditioner
  • Soap
  • Face wash
  • Face lotion
  • Deodorant
  • Toothpaste
  • Birth control (just bring 3 months)
  • Tampons

b.p. are the easiest to bring a year plus supply. You should bring a year supply or more.

  • Plan B

Peace Corps supplies the following

  • Sunscreen
  • Bug spray
  • Lubriderm lotion
  • Dental floss
  • Multi-vitamins
  • Calcium supplements
  • Meds (including everything like aspirin, ibuprofen, lozenges etc.)
  • Condoms
  • Birth control

So bring on your own . . .

  • Mesh shower bag
  • Laundry bag
  • 2 Toothbrushes
  • Tweezers
  • Small mirror
  • Hair stuff

You’re going to want to pull back your hair. It is hot and humid here.

  • Razors
  • Jewelry

Stay with fun inexpensive jewelry. Things do get stolen here.

  • Nail kit
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Hair dryer

I know, it seems not Peace Corps-ee. I don’t use my every day, but I love it for events. You will be invited out with Peace Corps, coworkers, dates etc.


Best Buy

  • Computer

Maybe 80% of the volunteers I know in country have a computer with them.

  • Zip drive
  • iPod and charger
  • Extra headphones
  • Speakers
  • Camera
  • DVD’s

You can buy decent quality movies here for a dollar a piece though.

· Power strip

Only if you have room, but it will come in handy.

KINDLE

I love my kindle. I live in the mountains of Nicaragua and I can download any book on Amazon that I feel like reading. I can check my e-mail for free in the mornings. And, if I really need to I can send out e-mails. A Kindle was one of the best things I brought with me.


Food Stuffs

Tea

Cookbook or recipes

Annie’s Mac and Cheese

Spices

Curry, cumin, paprika etc.


Linens

  • 2 Sets of twin sheets

Couldn’t hurt to have a set for a full . . . some use full beds in their sites.

  • Pillow

A lot of Nicaraguans use a pillow case stuffed with shirts.

  • 2 Towels
  • 2 Wash clothes


Miscellaneous

  • Travel clock
  • Wrist watch
  • Shortwave radio
  • Head lam
  • Flashlight (bring extra batteries)
  • Water bottle
  • Swiss army knife
  • Zip lock bags
  • 2 Sunglasses
  • Duct Tape
  • Small sewing kit
  • A few small hangers
  • A couple pens and pencils
  • Journal
  • Agenda
  • Manila or plastic pocket folders
  • Photos
  • Maps
  • Workout set
    • Physio ball
    • Strengthening bands
    • Pilates/ Yoga book


Travel

  • Backpack
  • Backpacking packpack
  • Duffel bag
  • Rolling suitcase
  • Tote (you’ll want this for work)

4 comments:

  1. Lauren-- you have NO idea how amazing your timing is. I leave for staging (for Nicaragua, no less!) tomorrow morning at 7am. THANK YOU! I've been way stressed, and it's a huge relief to see what you've brought/appreciated having :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. does Nicaragua need architects sometime in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea if PC Nica needs architects sometime in the future, but I need an architect for my site. I kid you not. Interested in building a Casa Materna? Maybe painting a few fabulous murals?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for that list! I'm going to Nicaragua September 1st and I really like to plan ahead :) I'm going to be teaching English.

    P.S. I saw that you graduated from Willamette University--I'm from Keizer, Oregon. Are you originally from Oregon?

    ReplyDelete